Wednesday, August 15, 2007

strange birds


Greetings. The last few days I’ve been frantically working on finishing my art*o*mat pieces for the big 10th anniversary shindig this Saturday, in North Carolina. Here's how I make them...

I cut out a lot of little fabric birds

then I put them on collaged backgrounds of fabric and felt

I free motion machine stitch around them and give them legs & feet - that's what gives them their personality

next I hand stitch all around the backgrounds


I draw on (human) eyes, and add a chop that says "tranquility"


I put them on heavy interfacing and backing fabric and machine stitch around the edges...and they're done

So far I've made about 200.

Every once in a while I make one that wants to stay and live with me - like this guy.

peace.


8 comments:

Unknown said...

you're incredible.
that's all I got.
amazing...and so much life and fun!
wooo hoooo!
High five, el!
Wendy

jane dávila said...

They're all so beeuuuuutiful! I saw at least one that would like to come live with me...

Have a blast in NC!

Kiwi said...

WOW.
What else can I say.
Please send me some patience
- and energy!

Miss you

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love what you create.

XOX

Lindel

mim said...

TWO HUNDRED!! I feel like a slacker...I only made 70. I'm so happy I have my little bird living with me.

Anonymous said...

These are so wonderful, and thanks for sharing your process. Mine from the swap is proudly displayed in the dinning rm. :)

Jane LaFazio said...

wow. 200 birds. they are adorable. wow. 200 birds.

Christine Clemmensen said...

I love these birds:)