Tuesday, May 6, 2008

siren eimi


So. I'm moving on from entomology to mythology and starting off with a siren.


A figure in Greek mythology, a Siren is a creature with the head of a female and the body of a bird. The Sirens lure mariners to their destruction on the rocks surrounding their island, with the irresistible charm of their song.

Jason and the Argonauts escaped the Sirens with the help of Orpheus, who played his lyre and sang a song to drown out the sound of the Sirens' fatal voices.

Odysseus wished to hear the Sirens, so as his ship passed them, he had his sailors stuff their ears with wax, and had himself tied to the mast. The Sirens sang when they approached, their words even more enticing than the melody. They would give knowledge to every man who came to them - ripe wisdom and a quickening of the spirit. Odysseys' heart ran with longing but the ropes held him and the ship quickly sailed to safer waters.

That's hot.


In my mythology research, I came across one of those internet, time waster, survey things. I wasted time - here are my results.

What Mythical Creature are you?
Your Result: Nymph
 

Nymphs are known for being extraordinarily beautiful. Unlike other mythical creatures, Nymphs are completely unselfish and do not always realize their beauty. Because of this naiveté, they are easily taken advantage of. Nymphs are quite innocent and devoted. They have one main passion in life, and devote themselves to it. As a Nymph, you are pure of heart, playful, and very free spirited.

Siren
 
Elf
 
Vampire
 
Werewolf
 
What Mythical Creature are you?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

Aside from my nymphness, I also scored in the siren category. Doesn't really sound much like me (particularly the unselfish, innocent bits). But...I'm too tall to be an elf. I'm a vegetarian, and therefore don't feed on the blood of the living (or the dead), so vampire is out. And while I have been known to howl on occasion, I don't have enough hair to be a werewolf. I guess, by default, I'm a nymph (with siren tendencies). Watch out all you mariners.

dance with me
into the ocean
roll with me
into the sea


5 comments:

mzjohansen said...

Love this new series. Love the little quiz too!

jane dávila said...

Love your siren print! I can't wait to see whatever else you come up with, mythologically speaking.

I took the online quiz and it told me I'm a siren (coincidentally), which works out to be half nymph and a quarter elf.

The description isn't terribly flattering nor does it reflect who I am, except for the part about sex.

*wicked grin*

Took said...

Ooooh, Elin -- I LOVE your siren. How fabulous.

I took the test and I am an Elf. Cool. I have always fantasized I'd be an Elf or Half-Elf when reading "Lord of the Rings", etc.

I had only a very slight mark in the Nymph column. Very slight.

Fun quiz -- great carving. I hope you are doing a series of mythical creatures now!

g said...

hi elin! first thanks for passing and leave comment :D

i really like this illustration! i see that mythology ispires you a lot and i think it's reallly interesting!

keep creating good works
bye glady

Willie Baronet said...

Hmmm. I am mostly werewolf.

More therapy ahead...